Col. John Hibbard

Share and search for Hibbard Family information.
billcarney

Col. John Hibbard

Post by billcarney »

I was in Richfield Township, Genesee County, Michigan, on Thursday and stopped into the local history museum in nearby Davison to try to dig up any additional information on my Hibbard ancestors that moved there from NY. (Col. John Hibbard is my 4th Great Grandfather). The only new tidbit of info I came up with was that they had a map of the original land grants in the area when it was opened up in 1835/6, and there are no Hibbard surnamed property owners in the area.

I do note that Col. John and his wife's Roxy's son Harris is married in Oakland County, MI on 6 July 1834 at age 25, but he is old enough to have come to Michigan (prior to statehood) by himself. But their daughter Harriet is also married there in 1838 at age 17, so I would think that the Col.'s family was also there in Oakland County by that time. Harriet's son Dorr Jenkins was born in Richfield in abt 1844.

So I'm still trying to determine when the Colonel moved to Richfield Twp. The only other plat map was from 1873, a year after the Col. passed away. HIs son Harris owned 50 acres in the township; I drove by the location and there were no buildings from that time frame in the area, in fact the southern half of the property is now part of a gigantic water park/campground.

I did mention to the people at the museum that all the gravestones of veterans in Richfield Union cemetery had flags, but Col. Hibbard's did not; they took the information and my map to where his resting place is and promised to rectify the error that day.

Bill Carney