Joseph Hibbard, Acadian Refugee

Share and search for Hibbard Family information.
Margie Hicks

Joseph Hibbard, Acadian Refugee

Post by Margie Hicks »

Greetings!

I am not a Hibbard descendant (as far as I know), but am a park ranger at Minute Man National Historical Park (in Lexington, Lincoln, and Concord Massachusetts) who is researching a Hibbard family that came to Lincoln, Massachusetts from Nova Scotia (then called Acadie) around 1757.

Joseph Hibbard and his wife, when they were in their 20's, and their two young daughters were forcibly removed from Acadie to Boston, thence to Lincoln, Mass. Several of the towns in Massachusetts were required to find housing and work for the Nova Scotian refugees. The Town Selectmen of Lincoln reported that the Hibbards were of "healthy Constitution and Capable of Labour, Joseph can do Some Sorts of husbandry work, cut wood, read &c. (and) Nanney his wife can knit, Spin, and weave, and do household work." (Selectmen of Lincoln, Oct. 1, 1757, Mass. Archives 23:423). The town put the family up in an old one-room schoolhouse, and occasionally provided them with firewood and provisions. The Hibbards were required in exchange to live and work in the community for 5 years.

I have not been able to find any Hibbards in the vital statistics of Lincoln, MA, nor any other records of what happened to them except the above.

Does anyone have any more information about this family? Did they go back to Canada, as so many of the French Canadian refugees did, or did they take up roots in New England (or elsewhere)?

If so, please send the information to
marjoriehicks@netscape.net

Thanks!

Margie
JohnLLaughlin

Re: Joseph Hibbard, Acadian Refugee

Post by JohnLLaughlin »

Willim Hibbard b 12 Jun 1774 in Nova Scotia (wife Mehitable Trask) his brother Capt Benjamin b 12 Jun 1777, d 19 Nov 1849 (his wife Susan Hilton) ( he is listed in Index of the Rolls of Honor (Ancestor's Index) in the Lineage Books of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution, Vol. II, p. 190) and Sib Francis 2 Sep 1772 6 Apr 1854 were born in Nova Scotia (His wife Frances Hilton) born in Nova Scotia. In June 1840 Rufus was living in Sunderland, Franklin, Massachusetts.