Salem Witch Trials

Share and search for Hibbard Family information.
Loren Gaggini

Salem Witch Trials

Post by Loren Gaggini »

I am a descendant of Robert Hibbard II and his son Ebenezer. My sister and I are wondering if the family had any involvement in the Salem Witch Trials as they were in Salem at the time (1692) but seem to have moved to CT shortly thereafter. There was an Elizabeth Hubbard whose testimony lead to the deaths of many people. She was too young to be Elizabeth Hibbard, daughter of Robert I. My guess is that the family left town because of the similarities of the names. Does any one have any information about this?
JakeHibbardTexas

Re: Salem Witch Trials

Post by JakeHibbardTexas »

Hello,

Robert died shortly before the witch trials. But, his wife and children were still in Salem (outer Salem in what is now Beverly.). They attended First Church in Salem. There was one person executed who was a member of their church. Rebecca Nurse. So, they probably would have known her. First Church is still active. It’s now a Unitarian Universalist church; but back then they would have been puritans. You can find church records online. I made a trip to Salem and visited the church and the land that Robert owned.